We Are Workers’ Lawyers.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Workers' Compensation
  4.  » Can you get lost wages if you’re disabled at work?

Can you get lost wages if you’re disabled at work?

| Oct 29, 2021 | Workers' Compensation

Most people who get injured at work can return in some capacity, at least after a time to heal. When they talk about seeking compensation for lost wages, they just mean recovering them in the short term. They missed a few paychecks while recovering, but they still have a mortgage to pay, so they need money to cover those missed checks. 

But what if your situation is more serious? What if you become disabled because your injuries are so severe? Now you’re looking at lost wages for years, if not decades, that you expected to work. Can you seek compensation at that level?

You can qualify, and benefits are paid by your employer or insurer

The short answer is that yes, you can qualify for both short-term and long-term disability benefits. You’ll need medical evidence showing that you are disabled and that you can no longer work. The state doesn’t pay this, but your employer will, or they’ll use their insurance coverage to do so. 

If you’re already wondering how much you will get, the state does note that it is generally “80% of your spendable earnings before any deductions.” They phrase it this way because it’s not 80% of your total earnings. They calculate how much you earn and take out the standard payroll taxes. The amount that is left for every week is considered your “spendable earnings.” It is that total that you may get 80% of in compensation for your lost wages. 

Getting the money you deserve can be difficult. You must know exactly what legal steps you should take